Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, November 12, 2007

On Belonging

I love to cook and bake….But sometimes I feel I don’t belong. I have weak and poor fine motor skills, so it’s hard for me to ice cakes, pipe, cut perfectly….it interferes with baking and pastries. So I avoid it. I probably couldn’t get a job at a bakery doing more than baking bread or frying donuts…so do I belong here? I love what I do, what I can do at least. I love baking and pastry….but not enough to work holidays and 14 hour days. I don’t feel my degree or time here has been wasted, not even a little…I think I’m going to do well in a food magazine, a test kitchen, something with regular hours.
I don’t know how chefs can work so many damn hours…there’s so much burnout and turnover in this industry. Things that was once a fueled passion sparks into bitterness. I’ve come across that in my life with ex-bosses, and they were certain to make my life as miserable as theirs appeared to be. I don’t want to be that guy, the one that is angry, bitter, tired. I want to be happy, successful, challenged, and love my career. I can’t do that working 6 days a week, 2 am to 4 pm. That’s not the life I’m meant to lead. I think I’m meant for more than rolls and crap donuts in some little town. That’s great for a little while, but I want more.
I’m trying to get into the food writing sector. It’s hard to get into, but I’m doing my best to write for the school paper, blog frequently and do all I can in my Food writing class. I can’t wait to break into a magazine and get my career on track. It will take a few years and so much hard work, but eventually I’ll be in a dream job…I am still searching for my dream job, discovering exactly what part of food writing I want to do, but when I find it, I’ll know. I’ll feel it, the belonging, the love and loyalty for it. Whatever magazine it is, and whatever track it is, I’ll know and feel it.

0 comments: