Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Extra work, extra credit, extra money

Did you know Independent study courses were extra if you went beyond the amount of standard credits? I didn’t. I’m taking an extra course, extra credits, because I want to. Well, I guess I should pay for it if I want the extra credits, but it’s extra work and I’m paying for it? If I needed to fill my credits quota and I took this, it wouldn’t cost anything extra….oh well…the way I think about it is Med students are drowning in tens of thousands of loans and debts, and I’ll be banking in at probably half that….so what’s another 2300 for my career? It’ll look pretty great on a transcript, and I adore the professor who will be supervising me. It’s really going to be worth the extra work. I’m looking forward to doing it. Time management is a lot easier when you actually have things you need to manage. Last term I was so lucky with class times and teachers that time management was almost non-existent: got up early, went to the gym/get work done, go to lunch, go to class(es), go home, get work done, go to dinner, night to do what I wanted. I had plenty of gaps in my day to fill. Now I’m catching up all the time. But I got a lot of work done yesterday….that reminds me….I need to do an Ethics assignment….. Now I have an hour to kill before grabbing lunch, getting stuff done in my room till Leadership and the fun will really begin: Leadership 1-4 Spanish 5:15-6:15, Finance 6:30-9:30. Man….if I don’t think about it, I’ll be okay. I was out of Restaurant Ops an hour early today, so that helps.

Extra credit…..it sounds great. I can’t wait to take it on. What it’s going to be about is mildly complicated and very personal. I had a very bad extern experience and I’m going to be talking about that with a focus on my disabilities and neurological condition being a part of that. Damn…still need to do that NF post…but that’s an investment I still don’t have time for. I’m going to hopefully be talking to students with NF that I know and other disabilities in general and how it affects them. It should be an interesting project. I was worried Independent studies were a largely invested thing with Deans and such reading your work to make sure you’re doing it, but it doesn’t seem to be like that.

I don’t know what to expect from a career in writing. I’ll be doing what I love to do and need to keep up on things and news and always be learning and researching. I just don’t know what kind of life it will be, but it will be fun to find out. I can’t help but think about money, but as long as I’m doing something I really enjoy and keeps me engaged and active, who really cares as long as I can keep myself alive with it, and there’s always a second job. I’m not expecting to graduate here with some amazing job at a magazine…you need to start off small, just like in a restaurant…you have to work your way up. I don’t mind working my way up, it’s how I’m going to learn. I’d be uneasy if I’m thrown into this fantastic, high paying job at a magazine somewhere.
I’m going to need to talk to the school’s career office soon. I don’t know what they have for me, because the portal of jobs that’s set up has nothing, NOTHING for the writer. Career fairs are just as bad and equally annoying. Nothing for the food writer. I think they are a little behind on the track of the food industry, Utilitarism rules, right?

0 comments: