Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, January 14, 2008

I’m always right- just not this time.

“Remember: I’m always right, even when I’m wrong, I’m still right.” One of my favorite lines in the movie “Meet The Robinsons”. It made me crack up, because I say that to my boyfriend all the time. I’m always right- to which he responds “You aren’t always right, you just have a high percentage.” It’s not so much always being right as it is needing to be right. That’s such a boosting feeling, at least for the ego. The worst thing about correctness is when you swear up and down- argue even, how right you are, only to find out you are wrong. On one hyper Saturday night this past weekend, I was listening to my ipod, singing and dancing to most of the songs- mostly to annoy my boyfriend, but mostly because I wanted to. A favorite song of mine “Virtual Insanity” by Jamiroquai I perked up and made him get off the computer, because the video for it is possibly the coolest one I have ever seen.
We were arguing about how the video was done. I was convinced the floors were moving and being pushed around. Of course, I felt this was right, because I’d seen this video long before he had, way back in the 90’s, and times like these when you have a seniority like situation, you feel you’re right, simply because you saw it first. He, however, was sure it was the walls moving, a thought I couldn’t fathom.

When someone tells me I’m wrong, even over tiny things, I tend to get quickly temperamental and “impassioned”. I hate being told I’m wrong, especially when it’s over something I’m so sure is right. It makes me cranky. I became irritated at him, whipping around in my chair and telling him –exactly- how sure I was that the –floor- was being moved. I paused the video, and set out on Google, determined to prove him wrong. When I found a source that didn’t look like a message board bickering over the same thing, I stopped talking, and wondered “How the hell am I going to dig myself out of this one?” He –was- right. Don’t you hate that? I laughed, and turned around and got up out of my chair and looked at him, laughing mostly at my foolishness. “Okay, this one time, -you- are right! Just this once.” When I’m wrong, I admit it….most of the time. There was really no way to get out of it otherwise.

There’s the phrase that many women toss around their significant others: “Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?” Ralphie May, a stand up comic, had a very entertaining set on this subject. Why do women have such a need to be right? I think we’re trying to prove something. Thousands of years of female repression in our genes. We all say we’re stubborn- male and female. But we say it like it’s so unusual. I haven’t met many people who will say “Yeah, I’m repressive. I’ll agree with what you say. Walk all over me.” Or give off that vibe. We’re all stubborn people wanting to be right. My boyfriend isn’t as bad as I am. Some people care less about being right than others.

I take being wrong personally, as if it reflects badly on myself.

What’s so great about being right? One minute of forgotten “glory”? I should remind myself of that. Being right only buys you a few seconds of easily forgettable rightness. So, “Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?”

0 comments: