Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lists Part Two, and Health Rantings


Things I Ought to Get Done Today


  1. Be more active

  2. Eat more produce

  3. Cut back on the junk

  4. Drink more water

  5. Resumes and Cover Letters! (Augh!)

  6. Unpack more

  7. Find my phone charger

  8. Go to the bank

  9. Laundry

  10. Read

My apple is hard and mealy. I was going to try for some kind of salad for lunch, but I'm really not a big salad person unless I'm really in the mood for it and it's done under very particular conditions. I wish I liked raw veggies more (I have an awful habit of eating crowns of steamed/sauteed broccoli with blots of hoisin sauce or some other delicious Chinese sauce), and could pick up some fruit and munch on it, but it's hard, and people make it so much harder, like a chore: we must eat six servings of fruit and veggies a day. It sounds arduous, and then “they”, (meaning the people who must sit around and think of ways to make our eating lives complicated and irritating) have the audacity to tell us how “easy” it is. Just incorporate it into your everyday lives! Make a smoothie! Put berries in yogurt! Keep grapes in your desk! Nibble on dried apricots! Right. Those efforts are well intentioned but last about three days. Sooner or later we're all scarfing down some salty indulgent snack food with a diet coke, which, by the way, has been discovered to cause weight gain as well. (And don't get me started on soda with vitamins)


Day to day things go from healthy to unhealthy. We're such a sedative and stubborn (but I think a better word would be ignorant) society. The majority doesn't understand we can't eat the way we did 50 years ago, even 30, where walking and being active wasn't something you really thought about. But they don't want to hear that, they want to hear they can eat what they want and be fine. Some people are so fearful of bad fats, sugar, and salt that they go organic when they don't understand what it is and eat things they don't need to, like choking down gluten free bread when they don't need it. I could go on about parents and their gripping fear of food allergies, but I wont get into that.


My sister is a healthy eating nut. I'm a little envious of her seamless effort of fruit smoothies, chickpeas, hummus, salads and good carbs. Her yoga, caperioa, running. I think she's still a gym member. I'm not gonna try that again. I want to be active, drink lots of water, eat lots of leafy greens and colorful food. But it's hard day to day. At school, I didn't snack, drank only tea, water or low-fat milk and the majority of the meals I enjoyed were relatively healthy or had something healthy on the plate. I had few desserts and on an average day did minimal 30 total minutes of walking. I also don't smoke and I drink very, very infrequently and in very small amounts. Here it's hard to avoid temptations of soda, pecking at crackers and small snacks. The most active I've been so far is unpacking and tackling unfathomable piles of clothes.


I don't want to come across as lazy to my family. I don't want to be a room hermit, but honestly, everything I need to keep busy is in my room. I need to get a handle on all my resumes, which after a walk, will hopefully be seem more inspiring.


It shouldn't be this hard. Fitness magazines make me feel lazy, and some of their tips sound eccentric. We're all either obsessed with being thin and “fit” or fat and blissfully ignorant or uncaring of what the future will bring.


I'm not going to end this with tips or some motivational advice, more like exhaustion. It shouldn't be this hard to be healthy. We shouldn't feel bad about enjoying a donut sometimes, or a cookie. We shouldn't have to feel such an impulsion to follow these fitness magazine's workout routines to feel like we are doing good for our bodies. I don't think, as a relatively healthy 22-year old, I should be this worried that being a little “overweight” will have as drastic effect on my body as “they” are making it out to be. “They” shove so much of this down our throats, and we wonder why we're so tired, discouraged and overweight. We're manipulated and brainwashed, hearing more messages of health and weight loss that we can count in a day. I for one, am exhausted by it, and think it's crazy that we're so desperate for nutrition and “good health” that people like Oprah and health magazines are pushing green algae in our smoothies. If Oprah is pushing it, you know it's crazy.


PS- As I finished this a commercial came on for gum: “Go from nice gut, to nice butt. Extra gum as 5 calories” Along with some claim of weight loss and staying “on track”. What a crock.

0 comments: