Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, May 12, 2008

Crispy Chicken

Like any fried and crunchy food loving person, one of my favorite things to eat is Crispy chicken. My mom's crispy chicken has such an addictive crunch and crispiness to it, I could eat plates and plates of it until I am unable to move. The part in my brain that tells me to stop eating seems to irk to a halt with crispy chicken, as if it is drunk with happiness of crispy pan fried food, and as long as there is some freshly made I'll be tempted to devour it all.

Growing up, this was one of my favorite things to eat (but every good kid loves a version of this, from fried chicken to chicken nuggets, it's truly a staple in the kid diet). The smell of breadcrumb coated chicken cutlets cooking in the pan, bubbling on top of a thin layer of oil to a perfect dark brown made my mouth water and me impatient.

When I was quite young I remember evenings spent on my favorite Winnie-the-Pooh bear blanket with a pilfered piece of freshly cooked crispy chicken, dribbled in ketchup, nibbling on the moist chicken with the light crunch coating while watching shows like "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" or "Saved by the Bell" right before dinner.


As I grew older and my awareness for cooking developed, my love for crispy chicken didn't wane, but "expanded". I had an aversion of leftovers, because they never tasted as good as they did the day before. But as I got older, I discovered tasty (and incredibly strange) ways of eating the left over chicken.
My first favorite thing to make was quesadillas, but in a bastardized American way: tortillas filled with corn, cold quivering slabs of velveeta cheese and cubed cold crispy chicken, cooked to a tasty golden brown. Yum. I can still remember the orange "cheese" melting over the other ingredients and volcano-ing lusciously over the edges. I didn't use salsa, or sour cream, or anything remotely related to the culture of quesadilla's origin. But to me, this was the best utilization of such leftovers.

The second dish is just a bit unorthodox, but back then was another way to use leftovers in a deliciously new way.
I hate to admit that this particular dish still appeals to me a little still, as well as the "quesadilla", but it's just another one of my many embarrassing eating habits from my youth I try desperately to shake but its appeal is just far too tempting, but indulging in it is just too humiliating (I swear when I move out, these two dishes will be first on my list).
My rice bowl consisted of leftover white rice, corn off the cob and cubed chicken.

After it's heated well, I added my favorite "Sauce"....ketchup, and mixed well. (I refer you to my New Year's post to revisit my love for ketchup). Honestly, almost anything that was once crispy and pan fried is delicious covered in ketchup. Truly, this meal was delicous. The crisp of the corn, the bland of the rice coated in ketchup, coated chicken with clumps of everything stuck to it. My mouth waters at the very thought.


But being older, and a little less picky, my tastes have changed. Or maybe I've just learned to be a little more embarrassed of my eating habits.

I still love fresh crispy chicken with ketchup (but with less, as my love for ketchup as been toned down considerably over the years). But now I like it with honey mustard dressing, cubed and tossed in a salad as well. Or just with spicy honey mustard on good bread. But I think given the chance and the privacy to do so, I would make a rice bowl again, or at least indulge in my velveeta quesadilla.

0 comments: