Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hot Dog Dinner

We, meaning my siblings, we on our own for dinner last night. I had no idea what to have. I had homemade tomato soup and a turkey sandwich for lunch, so I wasn't really in the mood for that again.
I had no idea what to have. I've had this compulsive need to eat healthy, since most of my family is on a healthy eating thing (to the point where my sister will exclaim "Why are there cookies in the house!!?"), so I feel obligated to eat healthy or justify an unhealthy thing. How neurotic.
I finally settled on a hotdog and cheddar sunchips. After chipping off a frozen hot dog bun and hot dog from their frozen packages and thawing them slightly, I threw the bun under the broiler and a hot dog in a hot pan with melted butter, and let it turn around and sizzle.

The smell of pan cooked hot dogs was familiar,and made me think of chili, diced red onions and cheddar spilling over an overstuffed hot dog. It reminds me of hot summer days when my mom would come home from work with a large vat of freshly cooked chili after deeming it too hot to cook. Now I was craving red onions with chili.

The hot dog's skin cooked and blistered slowly, turning alone by the heat and popping of the skin. The scent of savory cured beef with melted butter wafted up into the kitchen. The hot dog bun was toasting too slowly for me, and I worried if I let it go unchecked I would forget about it and end up with a charred bun, so I removed it before that could happen, and filled the bun with diced red onion, relish and mustard.

As I sat down with my finished dog, I popped a cheddar sunchip in my mouth, enjoying the cheesy flavor and grainy crunch of the chip. I was tempted to crumble chips on top of my dog, but I haven't done that in years and it felt a little juvenile. The filling stayed in the bun and was consistant throughout the dog; the mustard wasnt' overwhelming and absorbed into the bread, the pickly relish mixed with the onions and everything stayed together in an unusual twist of hot dog fate; because so many hot dog buns fall apart midway through.

It was a reasonably satisfying meal. Better than a sandwich, not quite as good as a burger with well done fries, or a tuna melt with Cape Cod Chips. But it was tasty and something I don't eat very often. I guess hot dogs are one of those things that you can have in a pinch or have standard at a cookout.

0 comments: