Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ice Cream

I don't think I'm that big an ice cream fan. I know. Blasphemy. I like ice cream, sundaes, ice cream sandwiches, but I don't like it too often, or in too high quantities.

Sometimes I like ice cream, but it has to be the right moment. I can't just eat a bowl of ice cream, covered in Hershey syrup on a whim (like I used to as a child, but maybe my palette has become more particular) . I have to really want it. My favorite ice cream dish is at the Eveready Diner, in Hyde Park. It's this enormous sundae- three scoops of vanilla ice cream and Reese's pieces, Heath bar and M&ms. Topped of course, with whipped cream, draped with hot fudge and a cherry. My favorite spoonful is one with a bit of each candy, a dollop of shiny hot fudge, ice cream that has melted slightly and whipped cream. The contrast of creamy, quiet vanilla, showy chocolate, warm, cold, melted and shelled candy is mouthwatering. I love M&ms with soupy ice cream that has been marbled with hot fudge.

It's a mammoth dish of ice cream. Enough for two determined people and possibly one picker. I love letting it melt a little before it's finished, allowing me to fish out the candy I want from the bottom of the glass. Candy fragmented ice cream soup is even more delicious than the sundae itself after the tongue thaws out.

I'm thinking about ice cream tonight because the co-founder of Baskin-Robbins has died. There isn't anything on the site, but the dark side of me is wondering how the corporation is going to exploit this. 90 cent scoop night anyone?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Yay ice cream!!!!!!!!

Meg