Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Thursday, May 1, 2008

Store bought cake

There is about a quarter of a small store bought cake left in the kitchen. My sister had her last day at a school for her internship (I believe) and she came home with this cake. Now the dilemma...I have a weakness for really bad for you icing...or any kind of icing. The way it doesn't melt in 90 degree heat, how it coats the tongue, how it pipes and spreads. We all know it's shortening, cheap sugar and flavoring, but is that really such a bad thing if you only eat it once in a while? It's so addictive. This particular icing is especially good. It's so airy. The flavor can only be described as "white icing- light vanillian flavor. It is good in the most evil way- the kind of good you only find in food you know is terrible for you; fast food, canned icing, deep fried delights at state fairs. The kind of "crap food" you hate to admit you think tastes good.
I'm really not supposed to like this stuff. I was raised in a house that only saw boxed cake mixes for Church coffee hours. The extent of store bought cake was from an Italian bakery (a chocolate mousse cake), but once or twice I recall getting an ice cream cake from Carvel, and my sister's watermelon roll cake from Friendly's.
The only time I had cakes like this was when mother's brought cupcakes in for birthdays, or at a birthday party at someone else's house. So for me, it was a rare treat of inches of icing mounded on moist cake. To a kid, that is possibly the ultimate indulgence of pure sugar you can get, especially if you get a rose. To an adult, this is such a guilty pleasure you have to try to open the container as quietly as possible so it doesn't rustle and sound the alarm that you are actually thinking about eating something like that.

For a store bought cake, this particular one is good. The cake itself is moist and falls apart in your mouth, the ratio of cake to icing must have come from the expertise of someone who does these cakes hours a day continuously. It was neither too much or too little, smooth tops and bottoms.

I could never do that. Not without a lot more practice. The first cake I've iced decently was my boyfriend's birthday cake. It was perfect, if I do say so myself...well..almost. The sides were straight, the top was flat. No crumbs. The icing was pure white, fluffy and airy...which makes for a great icing, but not so much for decorating. It was near perfection and possibly one of the best icing jobs I've ever done.


I'm a little envious of these cake decorators. I lack the hands but not the skill or know-how, so my effort ends up sort of in the middle..so cakes look like that of an under skilled home-cook. Which isn't a bad thing for family, but if you want a job, it makes things a little more difficult. But honestly, I don't think cake decorating is for me.

Hopefully things will turn around with practice and patience. Until then I'm happy to try my hand at cakes for my family, and secretly indulge in the occasional store bought cake the rare times they come around.

0 comments: