Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, October 24, 2008

Gimmie a break!

I'm a little addicted to Kit-Kat bars. I don't eat them very often, but when I do, I could eat twenty of those wafer sticks coated in chocolate and it wouldn't be enough.

I bought about 9 bucks worth of candy at CVS today (I had a $7 Extra Care Cash coupon, and thought 'What the hell?'). Two bags of fun sized Kit-Kats, a bag of Rolos and a bag of Yorks.

And I plan on buying more.


I think I've eaten half the bag of Kit-Kats already. You only get two sticks per wrapper, which no longer accommodates my 23-year old sized mouth (as a child, those fun size bars or candy in general took ages to savor). Two sticks can be stuffed in my mouth and gone in 30 seconds. (Damn American who doesn't enjoy her food! In Russia, we don't even have food!)

Kit-Kats are another of the extremely palette pleasuring foods. We all adore that mouth feel of opposite textures (and flavors), and Kit-Kat combines creamy with crispy. Genius.


I'm a big fan of crispy. Any kind of crispy. Chicken, fries, onion rings, veggies, candy. I'd be interested to see if that's some very deep Caveman instinct (much like gaining weight in winter and avoiding bitter tastes), or just because it's so damn pleasurable. I can barely describe it.

"Crispy" is associated with "Deep fried, golden brown and delicious", another one of my favorite things. But is that the real reason why I so love it? Deep fat fried crispy goodness of well done fries? But I love Nestle Crunch Bars, too. And Butterfingers. And anything else with layers of wafers or otherwise.

But why? I'm baffled as to why all these mouth feels bring such pleasure. We love creamy, crunchy, gooey, soft, hard, tender, crispy, smooth, sandy....Do they spark feelings of nostalgia? Do they release Happy Chemicals to your brain?

I think eating in general makes you feel happy inside. Especially good food. Or things you love to eat despite its quality (like my weird eating habits post). I don't think it matters if it's crispy like a Kit-Kat, creamy like Risotto, tender like a steak, or gooey like a Valo-Milk. I think pleasure from eating is one of those Ancestorial instincts that came about when humans realized that some foods tasted good and made you feel good.

There's no real reason for it. I think food just makes us happy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

I couldn't agree more.