Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, November 3, 2008

Saltines

Saltines hold a special place in my palette. Cheap, crispy, bland and available everywhere. I wasn't one for Ramon noodles, so saltines became my cheap source of sustenance my last year or two of college. I'd buy boxes of them and eat sleeves at a time with store brand root beer or a water bottle filled with juice pilfered from the dining hall.

I don't know what their appeal is. They are a simple carbohydrate with a nice salty and crackery flavor. They have a slight flake in their layers and are drier than most crackers. The only real appeal is cheapness and saltiness. Nothing but soup goes particularly well with them, can't really serve it at parties and they crumble.

But I like them. When I pick up my mother from work (Admin of a elderly living facility) I'll head straight for the kitchen and shamelessly pick a few small packages of saltines from the massive box. I get this uncontrollable craving for carbs. I start off with two or three, and then all of the sudden I'm on my fourth and fifth package and drinking cranberry juice and shoving handfulls of garlicky croutons in my mouth as well. I like this brand of saltiness in the kitchen; they have this slight cheese taste that I can't exactly identify.

Maybe I shouldn't be investing in a few boxes right now. I've been going on eating binges as of late (McDonald's double cheeseburgers, bags of candy and the aforementioned Saltines).

When I went to Shaws today I got Nature Valley crunchy oat bars, baby carrots, cukes and honey mustard dressing, so hopefully that, and developing a taste for bananas (or at least getting to the point where I don't deeply gag when I eat one), will make me feel healthier and not feel like a big fat Tina.

0 comments: