Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sesame Chicken

I don't know a single person who doesn't like Asian food.

Matt and I had been craving it for a few days now, and yesterday we decided that it would be okay for us to go out to Fuji, in Darien. They reopened this year after a long renovation. I haven't been there since a surprise birthday party when I was 17, so I had been waiting for Matt to be around so I'd have someone to go with me.

For starters, this place has a sushi bar and a large hibachi area. It has all a large selection of Japanese and Chinese food. Anyone can find something they would enjoy.

At our last trip, I had Wok Seared Steak, while Matt had Tangerine Beef. They gave us this simple but pretty damn perfect bowl of onion soup. Broth and onions. Hot, savory, salty, perfect.

My steak was tender, sweet and savory and very good. A big portion, also. I could have done with more vegetables. But the steak was delicious. Matt's tangerine beef was sweet and crispy. Also a big portion and also could have done with more veggies.


Last night, Matt ordered the Chicken Katzu and I the Sesame Chicken. This time, they gave us Miso soup and an iceburg salad with that orange colored ginger dressing which is just so tasty and delicous, and I wish I knew the exact name and brand they use so that I may go out and buy a vat of it.
The simple Miso was hot and tasty, and served its purpose of waking up my appitite and satisfying Matt's hungry one.

I was getting excited for Sesame Chicken. The fried "Chinese" food is not something I let myself indulge in more than one a month, so when I really want it, I go for the good stuff, the kind in nice, clean and quality restaurants. Places like Fuji. I love the crispy, I love the sauce, I love the sprinkle of sesame seeds. It's addictive. And bad for you.
So when my plate came, piled and mounded high with the saucy crisp stuff, I wanted nothing more than to fall face first in my plate and not come up for air until it was medically necessary.

But I had chopsticks. Which would slow me down considerably, God help me.
As you probably know, I have fairly poor motor skills. So managing chop sticks is something I only get right about 1/3rd of the time. But, if you put it in perspective of weight loss, would slow me down enough so I wouldn't overeat.

I picked up my chopsticks and tried to nab a piece of chicken. My sticks pushed it around the mound before I finally successfully picked up a sauce drenched chicken piece. I actually was able to hold it long enough to make it to my mouth. And it was exactly as it should be: The sauce was thick, sweet, and slightly gingery. The chicken was moist, tender and crispy.

I was stil struggling to use my chopsticks properly. Matt placed my fingers in the right places. but I wasn't able to move my fingers in the right way. The waitress came over and asked if I needed a fork, or "kid's chopsticks" with a laugh. Teasing me in a friendly way, or what I hope was a friendly way. But I had too much pride to ask for a fork, or God forbid, the kid's chopsticks.

I kept eating my chicken slowly, but managing the chopsticks in a way that worked for me.
My rice was in a separate bowl, and easier to eat with chopsticks, bowl close to my face, and scooping with the chopsticks.

Matt's chicken katzu was a large portion, probably two cutlets, piled on top of each other. His rice and sauce was in separate bowls, and somewhere under the pile, was some broccoli.

The chicken was crisp and light; Matt's only complaint was that it was fried in the same fryer as fish probably was.

As we ate, the Hibachi table had a family. The Hibachi table is something I'd like to experience with everyone at work, because the chefs are not only friendly and outgoing (and handy with sharp objects and things that flambe), but also use severely outdated lingo, which is hilarious to me; "Go! Go! Power Rangers!!". "Who let the dogs out!?" "This is the bomb!", etc.

My overall opinion on Fuji is the portions are large when it comes to meat; both times we've eaten there we've both gotten large portions of meat. But if you're like me, who likes copious amounts of vegetables with her Chinese, or like Matthew, who likes a decent portion, I suggest asking for extra vegetables. I'm sure they will be happily accommodating with any such requests.

Overall Info
  • Dress Code- Casual/Dressy Casual
  • Price Range- Apps- 10+ Entrees 10-25+, Hibatchi 16+
  • Menu- Varied; There are many Japanese, Chinese and a few Curry items to choose from
  • Service- Good
  • Good for anyone; dates, familes, parties

0 comments: