Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Sunday, December 20, 2009

Yoga

"I do yoga in the bathroom sometimes" My friend commented, out of nowhere.
"What?"
"I do Yoga in the bathroom sometimes, at work." she clarified.
"How would you even do that? Wouldn't it be awkward if someone walked in?" I asked
"No, it's just a one person bathroom, for customers."
"And why would you be doing yoga in the bathroom?" I wondered
"Cause hiding out behind the vanilla cakes in the freezer isn't doing it anymore." Sam said.
I didn't say anything, as I was digesting this information
"My boss yelled at me today for a stupid birthday cake. The order didn't specify a color for the writing. It literally said "Any color. For Girl" so I just ask Tammy which color was already in a tube for a girl, you know, rather than dirtying a bag AND saving time. She turns on me and huffs "What does the FORM say!!!?" I tell her, and I know I caught her, and she tries to back peddle and make me look stupid. This is the third time this week." Sam says
"Oy vay." I commiserate, thinking on my Extern days, and icing cakes. I shuddered, thinking of my extern bosses.
"So she gives me this whole speech about forms and customers and stuff, and I'm pretty annoyed at this point, so I'm like 'Look Tammy, I'm sorry I asked that question, but it said the color didn't matter, as long as it was for a girl.' And she tells me I'm giving HER attitude. UGH!! It was just ICING, goddamnit."
"How big is the freezer?" I ask. The freezer at my extern was gigantic. Like a maze of speed racks.
"Pretty damn big. About half the size of the back of the bakery. We only bake cakes once a week and freeze them all. And brownies, cupcakes, cannolis, eclairs, that kind of stuff. Bagels."
"So, you just stand there and cool off?" I asked
"Pretty much. It helps. It saves me the trouble from walking out. It's usually minus 20. The Yoga helps more. Deep breathing, or whatever. My yoga teacher'd be pleased." She said
"I'm really glad I'm not a decorator. The ones on my extern were awful."
"I mean, she's really uptight for a vegan. Most them are kinda like hippies." Sam said
"Vegan." I said, with a snort. "How does she run a bakery that isn't all vegan? Is vegan even big in Oregon?"
"I don't know. It's just a rumor. Maybe she's just uptight in general. Really intense"
"New job isn't going so well, then?" I ask
"You have no idea. Tammy is uptight and crazy, the other decorators are just as crazy or as fed up as I am, the back baking manager is bitter in general, I get sexually harassed daily by the oven guys. I swear..." she said, finishing the sentence saying something that sounded dark in French.
"Oy vay." I said again.
"But you have to admit, this sounds pretty funny. I want to put it on my blog" I say, clicking open a new window to post.
"Wait, what?" She said
"This is too good. I can write a book out of complaints my friends have in the food industry. I need to write this down. I'll change your name and everything. Make you my cousin, or something. I need to get back into writing, and my friends tell me such good stories" I said
"Always writing, aren't you?" Sam said
"In my head, yeah." I said.
There was a pause.
"I hate her." Sam said, quietly.
"I know." I said. I knew she was chewing it over
"Okay, go ahead."


Disclaimer: Names, locations, and personalities have been changed to protect my good friend. This not a reflection of herself, or myself, as she was just telling me about a bad week, and I was too amused by "Yoga in the bathroom" to resist. Disclaimer. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

You probably knew me or probably don't which doesn't matter but happy new years.