Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, July 16, 2010

Two Words: Maple Bacon

The chicken was still too frozen. Which was okay, since roasted chicken with glazed carrots and a salad seemed too fussy for two people who had to go into work on a Saturday.

"Then what do you want to have for dinner?" I asked Matt. He poked around in the fridge aimlessly.
"Grilled cheese sandwiches?" He asked. A memory of finding Maple Bacon in the fridge this afternoon sparked my interest
"With Maple Bacon?" I asked
"Sure."
"And tomato?" (which turned out to not look too great)
"Sure."

I love bacon. Actually, I love bacon fat even more. On more than one occasion, I may have dipped my BLT directly into bacon fat, au jus style. The mouth feel of all the fat from the bacon, bacon fat and mayonnaise contrasting with the tomato and lettuce is so palette pleasing a Theasaurus would hardly do it justice. It is divine, sinful and the height of indulgence.

Add in maple bacon to that, and you have added sweet into that salt and fat. It is the ultimate of flavor contrasts: Sweet and Salty. The favorite favor of all kinds of people all over the world.

I discovered maple bacon in college. Matt and I had started dating and in the traditition of culinary courtship, we got together to cook meals together on weekends, as well as walk to the grocery store.

I believe the first thing he cooked for me with such an indulgence food stuff was Brussels Sprouts. It. Was. Awesome. One bite and I knew, I just knew I'd rarely have a bad meal with this man. He was my knight in bright chef whites.

Anyway, bacon back to the bacon.

I prepared Matt's grilled cheese and put it aside to get the pans heated up. I drizzled a liberal amount of bacon fat into my pan, while piling my grilled cheese with the remaining three slices of maple bacon, which was still shiny with fat, and crispy edges.

The bread absorbed the fat, and created a dark brown crust. The cheese melted all around the bacon, encasing it in white American (I know, I know, but I felt like going Classic, here. We can talk about how it is the bastard of all the cheeses later)

The grilled cheese was a diverse collection of melty, creamy, salty, sweet, crisp, soft and bacony gratification.


I don't even like bacon as a breakfast item apart from an egg sandwich. But when it comes to maple bacon and its fat, the possiblities are limitless.Cook eggs in it, saute vegetables. Round up enough and you can make bacon mayo, if you are so bold.


Sweet and salty. Is there anything it can't do?

0 comments: