Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bacon Fat, or Why I need to Check my Drafts on Blogger from time to time. 8/2009

Back when I was trying to lose weight and be healthy , I would never have dreamed of using bacon fat. Now, being a little older, "wiser", and sick of trying so hard, I'm looking at it in a whole new light.
I've learned I eat in stages. Tuesday-Saturday I don't really eat all that much. I muddle through my day picking at cookies, cookie dough and the occasional bagel or iced coffee. It's an occupational hazard. That's what they don't tell you about the food industry; you are lucky to eat. (But I don't mind)
Sunday and Monday, however, I'm a bear. I can't stop eating.

Which brings me to bacon fat. I am obsessed. I love how it smells when first rendered from the bacon, I love its honey color when poured into a container, I love how it solidifies into a whitish gray mass that spreads easily onto bread for frying.

Last week, Matthew brought home some Italian Wedding Soup. I had been craving bacon, so we settled on BLTs and soup. I was shameless. Not only did I substitute fresh hot bacon fat for mayo, but.....I dipped a bit of the sandwich into said bacon fat. Just a corner. Just enough for a small bite. It wasn't greasy or oily. It soaked into the bread, making it moist and warm

I want to buy pounds of bacon to render, and strain it. I want to have Matt make Bacon Mayo out of it. For BLTs with Bacon Mayo, with bacon fat brushed onto the bread and pressed in a frying pan.

0 comments: