Dam Good Soft Rolls (or pizza dough)
1-- 1/4 oz package yeast
1 cup warm water
2.5 cups flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic powder*
1 tsp onion powder*
2-3 teaspoons paprika (optional)*
* You can use any dried herb or spice you like, it makes the dough remain tender because it helps inhibit some gluten development. These just happen to be my favorite additions
- Put the warm water in a medium sized bowl, sprinkle the yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar over it. Stir gently and let sit for ten minutes. The mixture should look creamy
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, remaining sugar, salt, and the spices of your choice. Mix into the yeast mixture along with the olive oil. Knead for a minute or two or until it forms a smooth ball.You may need more flour. the dough should be soft, pliable but not too sticky or too dry.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, until it doubles in size.
- Knead once more and you can begin to roll it for pizza, or divide for rolls. If using for rolls, let the rolls proof for another 15 minutes. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.
- If using for pizza, roll out, top as desired and bake at 425 for 12-20 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese is melted