Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, September 10, 2010

Roasted Vegatables

For some people, Fall means sharpened pencils, homework, and the end of the beach. For me, it's roasted vegetables. Roasted vegetables and braised items. I could eat roasted vegetables every day. Especially if it contains sweet potatoes and broccoli. The sweet potatoes get crispy, caramelized and soft.
 What happens to the broccoli I can't really describe. Its florets get crisped. The broccoli flavor condenses into an in-your-face broccoli flavor. It took me awhile to come around to broccoli. Maybe I wasn't ready for it's delicious broccoli flavor.

Parsnips is something I never ate until I reached school. Its first appearance was in beef stew, my top three favorite meal choices at school. Those perfectly batonette cut root vegetables. Savory beefy sauce. Beef braised to tender beefy perfection. Mashed potatoes. Warm dinner rolls. Oh yeah....Nothing better on a cold Hudson Valley November night than a bowl of beef stew from Skills Kitchen.

But I digress......



The parsnips looked like potatoes, especially when coated in beef deliciousness, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover a new root vegetable. To quote Matthew, "They taste like carrots if carrots didn't taste like carrots." Which I completely understood. Funny enough, it makes sense. It's light, rooty, and lacking beta carotene. Paired well when roasted with carrots and sweet potatoes.

Looking forward to roasting more root vegetables and the first braise of the season.

0 comments: