Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Milk!

I love milk.
Sometimes, I feel like milk is a wine, and pairs better with some meals more than others. Pizza and a salad? Not so much. Hearty beef strew and rolls? Heck yes!

I drank a lot of milk growing up.We're spoiled by good milk in this area. Stew Leonard's milk is full of body and mouth feel. I've found that when it comes to their milk, it is so fresh that each level percentage tastes like one level higher than it really is. Skim tastes like 1% and 1% like 2% and 2% is creamy, delicious and rich.

At some point in my pubsent life, we made a switch to skim milk (probably due to all that cultural pressure of 'healthy eating' and 'weight loss'). When it came to Stew's milk, I hardly noticed the difference, as it was still creamy and had a nice mouthfeel. But any other kind was just thin, watery and disappointing.

But I kept with the skim. God knows why. At school, we had fresh milk from a dairy fairly close by the school. The quality of the skim was still better than most brands. At school, we had skim milk dispensers and whole milk dispensers, which allowed a whole spectrum of milk fat deliciousness. Mostly skim with a shot of whole? Mostly whole with a shot of Skim? Half and half? Any combination was possible and adjustable to combat the potential heat of your lunch or dinner. And they were all fresh and creamy.

One classmate back in B-Block (early freshmen year) refused to drink the milk, because "it was shipped in bags.". It makes me laugh now, because I'm pretty sure most if not all milk in Canada is sold in bags.

Milk and I had an on and off relationship over the seasons and the years, which has comfortably settled into a familiar spot in my fridge.

Now to get out my soapbox here, because it's time for my stand on milk!

Milk contains numerous essential vitamins and minerals. Many of them are fat soluble, which means you can get the R.D.A of them about every other day or so and be healthy, because they are stored in your body fat. This is different from water soluble vitamins such as Vitamin C, because it gets used and flushed out of your body every day.

But it would also be safe to say to get the maximum absorption of fat soluble nutrients you need fat. So if I were to drink 1% milk and someone else were to drink the same amount of skim, I would be getting the most absorption from the nutrients. But whole milk shouldn't really be consumed by anyone over the age of 10, because no one older than a child should be getting that much saturated fat unless they are doing a Triathlon, or something. It's great for baking and cooking, but direct consumption? Not so much.

But as a woman, I feel like milk is important. Your body needs fat to survive. I'm not saying start taking shots of heavy cream, here. I'm just pointing out that skim milk is great, but 1% is even better.
The mouthfeel is much more satisfying, and there's only a marginal calorie and fat increase. I feel that it is  worth the extra fat and calories. When it comes right down to vitamins and minerals, I'll take the few extra calories and the wee bit of fat anytime.

1 comments:

Leslie said...[Reply]

I agree. I love milk.

We had switched to skim at home too, and I didn't like it. Now I buy organic valley and love taste. I don't know that I could ever buy another kind again.

We recently went from 1% to 2% and it's so delicious!