Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, November 1, 2010

The Holidays are coming!

Well, here it comes. The holiday season. Two months of non-stop commercials, sales, and general holiday cheer lunacy. For us in the food industry baking world, it means various degrees of kindness and patience from customers, ranging from "Oh, I totally understand that the pie wont be ready til 12! I can surely come later in the day." to "WHY CAN'T I HAVE A CHERRY PIE IN DECEMBER!!?!?? *click*"  Ho! ho! ho! We've all been there.

.....Anyway.... It's great that it's going to be chilly and blustery, because all those warm and filling dishes can be made and frozen! With the crazy holidays coming up, hours are early and late. So I can do one of three things: Make things for the freezer, pick up whatever looks good at Whole Foods, or let Matt cook. Or! The secret fourth option: Going through Mcdonald's and wolfing down whatever it is I buy before I reach the first stop light out an letting Matt fend for himself.

Clearly, the first three are better. I love Matt's cooking, but I hate for him to cook a meal after he works all day doing just that. Whole Foods has amazing soups, pizzas, sides, sandwiches and all kinds of wonderful things to eat in a pinch, but if I'm getting out of work at 5pm after being there since 2 am, driving to a store would make me nutty and agitated.

But I enjoy the idea of making things ahead of time, I'm generally excited to make things for the freezer. Today, I'm going to make chicken and biscuits and a pot pie. The usual delicious half butter/ half shortening crust, lots of corn, (unpeeled) potatoes (or even better, sweet potatoes!), parsnips, peas, onions and celery.Possibly mushrooms. Some people may be content with a plain mirepoix and potatoes chicken pot pie, but I love my pot pie bursting with crisp vegetables. I'd put butternut squash in, if Matt would let me.

I admit it's a lot of work. Pulling the chicken meat (preferably a roasted chicken for that little extra something), chopping the vegetables, parcooking them, making whatever your crust preference is, and the nice delicious creamy filling (whatever you prefer. I'm a fan of half cream of whatever soup, and adding stock, cornstarch, and so many lovely spices).One tin of chicken and biscuits or a pot pie for two people means one main meal and lunch, plus a snack for each of us.
It's worth the 45 minutes of work on your day off to have zero effort on the day when you really can't bear to think about washing your hair, let alone chopping carrots.

I'm so excited for the cold weather. I love filling hearty meals. Best for the freezer, best for pulling from the freezer into the fridge and then into the oven after work. No mess, little clean-up, and 100% delicious and hearty. Cheaper than take out. Better than McDonald's. 

I think next time I'll do a Shepard's pie, with sweet potatoes. My mother started making that a year or two ago with left over beef, and it's one of my most favorite winter meals. Peas, corn, beef, sweet potatoes! Yum. Or maybe some kind of pastry wrapped meat? Biscuits filled with ground beef and cheese? Or perhaps a veggie pot pie? So many delicious things and so little space in my freezer!

0 comments: