Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, January 14, 2011

Cabbage and Kielbasa

....I smell onions cooking. One of my favorite cooking smells.

Braised red cabbage probably isn't your first reaction to "What sounds good for dinner tonight?" I've been there. When Matthew wanted to stove top braise cabbage the other night, I wasn't "exactly" "thrilled". But we had a whole head to use up and there wasn't anything else at that moment that we could do with it. Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised by not only the bright color, but it was braised in such a way that it tasted good. Sweet and not as cabbagey as I might have expected.

It's two nights later, and we'd like to use the remaining cabbage head. So we're making it again. Our side was figured out, but not the main portion of the meal. I managed to find kielbasa in the freezer, which would save me a return trip to the store.

The kielbasa cooking on the stove smells sweet, savory and like really, really thick hot dogs.  I kind of wish we cooked it in the maple bacon fat I have in the fridge (I have no shame for my shameful love for bacon fat), but Matthew said it wouldn't matter at that point.

The cabbage is bubbling away on the stove, the potatoes are boiling, and we just need to sear the heck out of that kielbasa!  It's all coming together in a winter night's meal. Fatty, filling, hot, sweet and salty. This meal couldn't be any more perfect if I braised beef. If only I had a proper beer to go with it.

This was an almost authentic Polish meal. The red cabbage was incredibly sweet and surprisingly tasty. The kielbasa had a mighty nice dark sear to it, bringing out the flavor depth. Put together and it was a burst of classic flavor pairing.

It has to be said, Matt is an amazing cook. Over our years of being together, he's introduced me to foods I never expected myself to be eating. If a guy can get a notoriously overly picky eater (as a child...okay, and into my teens) to not only sit and finish her serving of red cabbage, but to actually look forward to sitting down and eating it, he obviously has some kind of secret skill.

0 comments: