Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, January 24, 2011

Cara Cara Oranges

My winter love has returned. I have a very small window for the relationship, and it is quick and delicious.

These little jewels appear to be normal oranges. But on the inside, the flesh is a light pink. They are juicy and some of the sweetest fruit I have ever tasted.
I discovered them this time last year at Trader Joes. Their quirky display and promise of "The sweetest orange" sold me. I wanted to get healthier anwyay, and my favorite Honey Crisp apples were out of season, and I was craving a sweet replacement.
When I got them home I peeled it carefully with a paring knife, the way Matthew had shown me in oranges of the past. Very carefully peeling away as much as that bitter white stuff as I could.
I was surprised by their pink flesh. A little pinker than the flesh of a grapefruit. I sniffed it suspiciously before popping a segment into my mouth....Holy Cow.  This particular orange was juicy. An explosion of sweet juice. It was sweet as a perfect summer melon. I was completely hooked. I ate two more of them before restraining myself, as they were a tiny bit pricey (but totally worth it).

My love for theme continued all winter. I'd go through a 3 pound bag every few days; one for work, two after work. It got a little excessive. But better for me to buy bags of oranges than Kit-Kat Bars, right?

Anyway, I went into the New Year quitting my job, and about a week later, I see the display of Cara Cara Oranges, and I felt such a sense of sadness! I'd have to kick my two bag a week habit fast and somehow pick out one perfect bag. One bag of oranges that looked the most perfect and succulent, and that would be my one bag of the season. Better than nothing, right?...I think I need to get just one more bag. I'm a little disappointed by the bag I selected! A few oranges were tasty, but maybe my memory is exaggerating the incredible swetness of last year.

These oranges are incredibly sweet and tasty and outrageously good for you, so if you see them, grab a bag and enjoy!

0 comments: