Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, January 17, 2011

Eggplant Cutlets

This is almost too labor intensive to be worth it!

With all this free time I have, as well as not having to get up for work, dinner has been later and slightly more laborous as of late. I'm not trying to get dinner on the table before 6 because I no longer need to go to bed at 7:30.We're making eggplant cutlets with one of the two eggplants in the fridge. Crispy and good with pasta and sauce.

Most of the labor comes from the fact that Matthew and I find store bought bread crumbs of any brand or variety are much too expensive compared to the making our own with bread we already have and don't eat too much off.

The eggplant is peeled, sliced and salted, the hydroscopic deliciousness drawing the water out of the produce. The slices of bread are cooling and I'm dreading the loud, obnoxious sound of pulverizing bread in the Cuisinart.


........It really isn't that much work if you think about it. People long ago prepared a meal like this one in the same way, probably without much thought to how long it took or how inconvenient it seemed...Maybe I'm wrong. But for something we so seldom use it's worth the time to make our own.

Matthew's dredging method is much cleaner than mine, as he possess the patience to keep one hand for one task and the other for another task exclusively. I always end up with hush puppy fingers. He's much more efficient than me.
We like to bake ours with a healthy drizzle of oil, because we only use about a quarter of the oil, which we can use to pan fry other things like pierogies and Latkes or chicken cutlets, or fish, where it's a "requirement" to shallow fry.
I'm sure eggplant isn't the top of anyone's "Healthiest Vegetables" List...Well, I'm almost sure it isn't. But for an occasional inexpensive crispy dinner treat, so crunchy and secretly good with BBQ sauce....But you didn't hear that from me.

0 comments: