Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, January 28, 2011

Chicken Broth, Julia Child and Food Love

Another lazy Friday (it is Friday, right?) I got a stack of movies at the library the other day to get through the "Snowver Kill" and Matt's cold. Mostly animated movies like "Hoodwinked", "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Up". But I also got "Julie and Julia". I put it on as I was making chicken broth with what was left of the roast chicken. 

I've forgotten how much I enjoyed this movie. I love Meryl Streep as Julia. She's so charming. It's awakening the old me. The person who existed at The Culinary Institute of America. Who'd leap out of bed in the morning, put on her chef whites and with eager enthusiasm went to breakfast in the lower floor kitchen (Best breakfast and best place to eat!). The in-classmade sausage! The perfect homefries! The indescribable eggs, cooked to order! The fluffy pancakes or crisp and soft waffles. The kitchen was a carnival of so many wonderful aromas of breakfast. I wasn't an egg eater until I experienced a C.I.A Breakfast. Their Daily Special Scramble has changed my Breakfast Life.

I loved to eat and to learn at school. I couldn't get enough of sitting in the bakeshop, listening to these incredibly talented Chefs explain to me how these wonderful ingredients work together to create crusty sourdough, airy chocolate mousse and caramel filled chocolates.

Julia is showing me again that love of food. Food! Food is life for me. I long for what Julie and Julia has done. At home in the kitchen, experimenting with this and that just for the experience of learning.
I loved learning that in the baking world, precision is practically anything. A few degree difference in the water temperature when proofing yeast can make your yeast well fed, bubbly and happy or a dud. Or how well your meringue will whip depending on how clean your bowl is and how warm the whites are. It's all so fascinating and delicious.

If I had a job that could allow me to spend my time off and my money just playing with my food again Matthew and I would be incredibly happy, well fed and a few pounds overweight. I would spend all day on a beef stew. Hours on tempering chocolate for candy. Work endlessly on creating the perfect baguette. Aahh, maybe someday.

I can't fully describe the love I used to have for food...The love that's coming back little by little since I left my last job. Now I love to plan meals, think of the best way to cook beef or pork. Dream of a great pizza dough. Food is such a simple joy and pleasure. It's love. It's creating something out of simple things. And Julia got that. She wanted us to know that. Her passion for cooking and helping us be able to cook well is a gift.

...My chicken broth is a little fatty. Which adds an extra step of chilling the broth so I can skim it before I put it in the freezer in little baggies,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

You never really explained why you left your old job. I feel like I know you through your posts - could you do one about why you left? (if it isn't too sore a subject)

Also - Julie and Julia is a great movie.

Jenni said...[Reply]

Well, I most certainly could. But If you feel you know me so well, I ought to know who you are, too! :P

Jason from Philly said...[Reply]

Sorry - I don't have a blogger account. :)

(previous Anon)

Jenni said...[Reply]

Unfortunately, in the spirit of professionalism, I most likely wont be publicly speaking about it on my blog. Potential employers don't want to see me talking about former bosses...No matter how.....Interestingly they might have run their business.
But it's nice to know someone actually reads this! Sometimes I feel like I'm doing this for me, which is usually enough for me. But thanks for taking such an active interest in my blog, I really do appreciate it. : )