Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mac and Cheese Fondue

I'm finally throwing together the mac and cheese with the left over bit of fondue tonight! Sunday lunch consisted of finishing off the rest of the baguette. I'm not sure I want to know how much cheese and bread Matthew and I consumed in that 24 hour span, but I can promise you it was worth it.

I sauteed some onions to throw into it this afternoon, and I'll probably toss in some frozen corn to my portion for another texture and flavor. And because I love corn in my mac and cheese.Ooh, maybe a dash of Rooster Sauce! If it were Spring, I'd like to toss in some steamed asparagus, if it were Summer, I'd like to dice up some plum tomatoes and fresh sweet corn. But since it's January and icy out, I'll have to go with my standby favorite of frozen corn. Matt just gave me the green light to go ahead and put corn in all of it. So I'm going to do better and sautee some frozen corn with some onions.

I've been looking forward to Mac And Cheese Fondue since we had our picnic lunch on Saturday. The cold consistency reminds me a little of those silver cheese pouches in the Kraft Dinner boxes. It's thick and shivery...But not neon orange. It still smells great, even cold in a bowl.

 "I don't think I'll be needing all of this." I told Matt, feeling skeptical and holding up the half full bowl, containing probably a little more than two cups of thick cheese sauce.
"Ooh, just use all of it!" he said excitedly.


......This is ridiculously cheesy. Even for me or Matthew...Well, maybe not too cheesy for him. But I think the shells will cling onto enough of the cheesy goodness that it even itself out into a more fathomable ratio of cheese to shells. Either way, it smells great and the addition of onions and corn can only make it better.
This smells wonderful. A grown-up version of Mac and Cheese. It has herbs, spices, mustard, Worcestershire, and white wine. Onion sauteed corn and Havarti. It tastes as good as the fondue from Saturday, only now instead of a sexy baguette and salty kielbasa, it's covering pasta shells.This isn't the mac and cheese you had when your mom hired a babysitter (though if you did, lucky you!)

Nearly total or full utilization of leftovers is something Matthew and I (and I imagine everyone) like to aspire to. Nothing makes a meal more delicious to me than knowing we're using up things that normally would have been wasted. I know that might sound a little crazy to some people, but I know thrifty foodies speak my language.

0 comments: