Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, January 28, 2011

Pancakes and Pulled Pork

I have no idea what to make for dinner. I wanted to make a sauceless sausage pizza. Like in those pizza chain commercials with sauce to dip? But we're out of yeast (unfathomable!). Matt still has a cold, so why bother making something tasty if he can't eat it. I offered him pancakes. Caloric, soft and easy to eat. Just what a sick person needs. I'm more of a savory breakfast eater. My sweet breakfasts are limited to real bake shops and holidays.But pancakes for one sick person is no trouble to make.

I'm staring into the freezer, debating frozen pizza, grilled cheese with bacon and looking into a jungle of frozen meats. Dinner for one is so unmotivating.
Matt wasn't in the mood for bacon, which rules out the motivation to defrost and cook bacon.

I finally settled on pulled pork. Put in a sandwich? Or eggs?....What about cooked inside a pancake?

Now, there's an idea. How would it taste? Sweet, fluffy pancakes with pulled pork in the middle?...It sounds like an interesting concept. It could be delectable or a wasteful disaster. Pulled Pork Pancake drizzled with maple syrup?...That actually sounds almost good, to my over active sweet tooth.

It sounds like something you'd find in one of those overly trendy restaurants that puts Celery Ice Cream and Bacon Vodka on the menu.  Not like that's a bad thing.

It'd kind of be like a filled crepe. Only thick. And a pancake.

...I'll have to think about it. I think I've been so bored today I'm dying for a reason to play with my food.


More Later!




**** Later *****
The more I thought on it, the more I wanted to try it out. I know eggs and pulled pork is all kinds of awesome proteiny deliciousness. But I really felt like playing. How bad could it be? Pancakes: Tasty. Pulled Pork: Delectable. How could this possibly go wrong!?

I made silver dollar pancakes. I figured pulled pork in the pancake might be a little difficult to make consistent throughout.
They came out a little thicker than I might have liked, but they are fluffy and light just the same.

I'm stacking these pancakes as artfully as I could, but I haven't taken a food photography class, so I can't figure out anything but making it taste good, and it never feels right when I arrange it this way or that. So screw it. It's going to get cold! So I'm sorry if it isn't ascetically pleasing.
The first forkful looks delicious. I don't know why I thought this would be weird. It looks just like a pulled pork sandwich. Isn't there a whole chain of Chicken and Waffles in the South?

The first forkful is delicious. The texture of the pancake is more pleasing
than bread or a bun; sweetish, light, soft...It's a pancake. The sauce from the pork absorbed into the layers of pancake.

All in all, pretty tasty. Almost exactly what I expected. The pork needs more sauce to make up for what is lost in pancake absorption, but now I know. Pancakes and pulled pork: not as weird as I thought.

1 comments:

yourfriendlyneighborhoodbarista said...[Reply]

Sounds delicious! I found your blog(s) through your comment on mine, and I have to say, you've combined two of my favorite things: food and writing. I'm also a little neurotic, so I can appreciate that side of you as well! I look forward to reading more about your flights of fancy and adventures with food!