Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, January 21, 2011

Pulled Pork

I can sometimes be difficult. Maybe it was the years of learning disibilities and taking a longer road to make things more effiicent for me to learn ("It's longer and more efficient!"). But now I'm an adult, and find it hard to shake the difficult tendencies sometimes.
Case in Point:
I was wandering around Stop and Shop, looking for something tasty (and inexpensive) to cook for dinner, when I saw Pork Shoulder. Not only was it on sale, it had a $2.00 off coupon on it, which made the cost of the pork only $.77/lb. Even counting fabrication loss, it would only drive the Edible Purchase Cost of the pork to about $.99/lb, which was the sale price to begin with. Still a good deal.

Anyway, I get it home and clean out the sink to rinse and trim the fat.
12:30
The fat was thick and resistant to being parted with its lean meat. I struggled with the girth and the resistant fat. I washed my hands and the knives and sharpened them.  I wished Matthew was here. He's a chef, and much more skilled with meats and trimming the fat than I am.
I sighed and kept struggling, working slowly and carefully with the now razor sharp knife. Inch by excruciating inch, I worked my way around the shoulder, carefully trimming away the bulk of the fat.

This is ridiculous. But finally the last of the fat tore away, leaving me with a 82% trimmed fat pork. Better than nothing. If I had more patience and more skill, I'd have a perfectly lean piece of meat on my hands.  But since I am but a simple baker who likes to dabble in meat cookery, I had to take what I could get. besides, a little fat in pulled pork just means juicy tender moist meat.
Into the pan it goes and I massaged it well with oil and basic spices before putting it in a low oven.
After disinfecting the sink area, I'm ready to make some BBQ sauce. Easier and tastier than it sounds!
1:15 The sauce is simmering on the stove, I'm not going to bother tasting it until it has simmered for at least an hour.
2:36
The pork is coming along slowly. I thought it would be a little further along by now, but I have about 8 pounds of pork to cook, so it's going to take awhile. It even smells moist. I went a little too heavy handed on the paprika, but I think when it mingles with 8 pounds of meat plus the BBQ sauce, it'll taper out. The BBQ sauce is tasty! Sweet, and has a kick, but the aftertaste is a punch in the face of acidity that needs to be calmed with a lot of brown sugar and honey.
6:30Pork has been cooled, and it has been picked and pulled right down to the bone. Just need to sauce it and let it cook a little bit more. The meat is so good! Moist and tender and there's so much delicious dark meat! Can't wait to let it socialize with the BBQ sauce.
7:23

Holy Goodness. This meat is moist, sweet, tender. As far as flavor goes, it is sweet and mellow, something I prefer with my pulled pork. But it might need a little more spicy kick to it. But I'm overall happy with it and excited for a pulled pork omelet for Breakfast!


0 comments: