Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ratatouille and Maple Bacon Fat

"This is not a leftover dinner. We bought this produce specifically for this reason." I said, as Matthew cut the zucchini.
"It is, since we used the vegetables for other reasons." He countered.

Meanwhile, the onions cooking in maple bacon fat is so good I want to take a fork and chunks of good bread and eat that for dinner.

Matthew's making Ratatouille tonight, inspired by seeing tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini in the reduced produce section at the store on Saturday (Don't knock it! Three grapefruits for $1.12? Two eggplants for $.99? Yes, please!)
Obviously, we used one eggplant last night, our justification for two of us buying two gigantic eggplants. 

It took me awhile to come around to the dish. That movie featuring a talking rat and fancy skills....let's not visit that...I have a hard time liking things that the whole country is crazy over. He made it over the summer and it was a filling vegetarian dinner option (For when we feel like a vegetarian meal). But now that he's using bacon fat, maple bacon fat, no less, I'm salivating at the thought of onions mingling with the bacon, and fraternizing with the eggplant and tomatoes. 
It smells so sweet and so good. The maple and the bacon scents are overpowering everything else and I can detect the onions, and it just smells fantastic. Matt and I both wished we still had that bread from Fairway!!

Matthew would like me to point out the reason for the onions being overpowering because it's the only thing that's cooked, and everything will have its own individual flavor, but I insist that is beside the point. Maple bacon fat is so good it's a sin, and pair that with onions cooked in it and you have a crime scene. 


It's going to be another 20 minutes or so of cooking and mingling flavors, so in the meantime I'm prepping the last quarter of the eggplant for roasted eggplant pizza on Friday. Because (nearly) full utilization of product is always a beautiful thing.

0 comments: