Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beef Stew, Raspberry Lambic and Chocolate Mousse

"I'm not sure if the Raspberry Lambic will go well with the stew, but damn it's good!" I say, enjoying a sip of the aromatic raspberry Belgium beer.

Matt's bustling about the stove, finishing the beef stew, seasoning, thickening. Good smells and noises. The Raspberry Lambic is a treat. Matt gave it to me for Christmas, which was hilarious, as I gave him a bottle of port. But the Lambic we saved for today. It is cold, full bodied and tastes like fruit soda. It's deep purple with a pleasantly fizzy mouth feel.  It's a beer that doesn't taste like beer; it's sweet and fruity. I'd peg it for more of a dessert beer, if such things exist.
But I don't mind if it doesn't pair with the beef stew. Its bubbly sweetness will go well with the salty full bodied of the stew. Very palette cleansing.

The sauce was very impressive. Rich and bold with a slight peppery kick to it. Carrots, parsnips and mushrooms poked out of the richness. Falling apart cubes of beef nestled in with the root vegetables and pearl onions.

This beef stew is amazing. It was better than almost any stew I experienced at school.

The chocolate mousse parfaits could have done with slightly better presentation and chocolate cake, but they will be tasty, especially since I soaked the bottom cake layer with rum, and the second with vanilla simple syrup.
The mousse parfaits aren't bad, really. I think next time I'd use chocolate cake and a darker mousse. But it tastes like fresh chocolate marshmallows right off the kitchen aid. The rum was a biit too much, but no complaints!






0 comments: