Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Braised red cabbage, the recipe

I've been talking about braised red cabbage, people seem to be interested in it, I wanted to share the recipe!  This recipe will serve about 2-3 people.

Stovetop Braised Red Cabbage
Half a medium onion, chopped.
A quarter of a head of red cabbage, sliced on the thinner side.
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar or honey
Quarter cup water
Salt and pepper to taste, plus a dash of cinnamon
  • Saute the onions in a medium saucepan until soft. Throw in the cabbage, vinegar, sugar (or honey) and water and mix well. 
  • Cook uncovered for about 20-25 minutes over medium/medium low heat, stirring occasionally but attentively. You might need to add a few tablespoons water as it cooks.
  • As the cabbage cooks, it will look like the purple is fading from the cabbage, but as it continues cooking down the cabbage will condense into this wonderfully dark purple color. The water will reduce and all the flavors will begin to condense.
  • Since cabbage can be eaten raw, it's up to you when it is done. It is generally done when it is tender, soft and has a little bite to it. But if you prefer it a little softer or crisper in either direction wont cause any harm!
  • Season to taste and add the dash of cinnamon. You might want to add a little more sweetness to it, or a little more vinegar, but only do so a little at a time. You'll probably want to add a little more sugar. And by "season" I mean add the spices and seasonings you like: salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder/chili powder. Trust me on the cinnamon, it really makes the flavor of the cabbage pop!

Braised red cabbage is so tasty! It's in season, inexpensive and red cabbage is full of nutrition! What's best of all is it is sweet and delicious.

I never thought I would eat cabbage, and here I am excited to share a recipe for red cabbage with you.

Try it out, it's a nice change from the usual vegetable side dish! 





0 comments: