Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Friday, February 4, 2011

Cake Batter Cookies

There's nothing wrong with cake mix. The consistent yielding product, the ability to doctor it up, and its multi-use is inexpensive and tasty.

I like to keep a batch of cookie dough balls in the freezer. It's just the two of us. Two people cannot and should not be eating dozens of cookies. With cookie dough in the freezer you have fresh baked cookies on hand all the time! It's a wonderful thing.

The cake mix cookies use few ingredients, and are open to your own interpretation of fillings.Very thrifty, and you aren't compromising taste or quality for the sake of thrift either. I mean, sure, at a real bakery or cafe you can get gourmet cookies that are outstanding and possibly gigantic. But for two people who like to enjoy a fresh warm cookie once or twice a week, they do the job.  Warm and gooey, with a cold glass of milk?  No one can refuse such simple goodness.

For my cookies, I used mini chocolate chips, a sprinkle of white chips, and a smidgen of dried diced pineapple. Moist, soft, and just enough balance of everything.

For your entertainment, here's the recipe. I bet you have a box of cake mix in your pantry right now that's dying to be used! 

1 box of cake mix. Any kind, any flavor
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil (or one stick melted butter or margarine)
1/2 cup oatmeal (I choose to run mine through a food processor to make it more flour-like)
1 tsp vanilla
Combine in a bowl, adding a few tablespoons more water if the dough is too dry, but you want it to be a little like wet sand.
Add in
1 cup of any kind of filling you like, in any amounts. Small pieces of dried fruit, assorted chips, sprinkles, M&Ms, even chopped candy bars.

Mix well and drop by the spoonful onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Or take spoonfuls, roll into balls and place into rows on a small cookie sheet. Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes. Transfer into a freezer bag and freeze until you need a cookie! Just let the cookies thaw for about 10-15 minutes before baking as above.  I found the recipe here, where there are four other cake mix recipes.

This is a really fun idea for parents who want to have a baking activity for their kids but don't have the time, ingredients or patience. It only takes about 15 minutes and they can put in whatever fillings they want. Happy experimenting!

3 comments:

The Restaurant Manager said...[Reply]

My daughter loves to bake! We'll be trying this one for sure!! Thanks!

Jenni said...[Reply]

You're welcome! I hope you have fun with it!

stephchows said...[Reply]

thanks for stopping by :) you'll have to give my nutella version a try!