Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Monday, February 7, 2011

Fresh Tortillas!

I'm in the mood for some soft tacos, but we only have two tortillas. I'm not one to run out to the store for one thing, so the only solution was to make my own! I haven't made tortillas of any sort since school, but I remember them coming out well enough for me to have another stab at it.

The recipes online were all very similar when it came to flour/baking powder/fat/liquid amounts. Some swore by lard, while others said oil or shortening. But this recipe caught my interest with her photos, story and plethora of recipes.

I'm excited for it. I found the recipe from another blog if you'd like to check it out.  Meanwhile, it's an awesome website and I recommend spending a little time sifting through it. Anyone who has a recipe for bacon jam on their site is cool in my book.

So, I started these at about 3:45. I wasn't in a hurry and I knew ten or fifteen minutes of extra resting wouldn't hurt. I didn't roll mine out to as big as her recipe called for, but I figured by the time I got to cooking them I could hand stretch them accordingly.

By 5 I was ready to cook them,  The tortillas were soft, elasticy and ready to cook. I'm lacking the proper cast iron skillet, so I have to settle for my overly large, deep frying pan.

I love the way the air bubbles expanded and browned, and the ease in which the tortilla slid along the pan without any fat in the pan. It was all I could do to not swipe it and eat it directly out of the pan. A quick turn and 45 seconds later, my first tortilla was out of the pan.
These are the best tortillas I have had in a very long time. They actually have a texture and flavor. They're soft, and tender and warm. What have I been missing? They were good on their own.

Matt and I put together our plates and sat down. I ripped off a small piece of warm tortilla and piled a little sour cream, caramelized onions, corn and chicken. This was incredible! It actually brought something to the party other than a vessel in which to carry tasty fillings. Actually, we don't even really need anything with the tortillas. Matt and I can probably just sit here and eat these plain or with a little bit of fresh salsa.

I'm totally hooked. These tortillas have a bit of inactive time, but it's a relatively quick and such an easy recipe. It brought so much more to the meal and the quality was better than any brand name tortilla.

Thanks, Homesick Texan, for such an awesome recipe. I can't wait to look through your wonderful blog more and find another recipe to try!

0 comments: