Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Whoopie Pie Filling

I'm not going to lie to you...... I have two small glass bowls of whoopie pie filling in my freezer.

What is a whoopie pie, you say? What is it filled with, you ask?

Whoopie pies are similar to a Devil Dogs.  Traditionally they are flat disks of chocolate cake, filled with a vanilla marshmallow filling.

There are many creation stories with whoopie pies, ranging from the classic and rewarding baking mistake to being of Dutch Amish country origin. Wherever they are from, whatever variety they are, they are delicious. A good whoopie pie needs to have cake thin enough to not overwhelm the airy whipped filling, but not so much filling it squishes onto your fingers. Simple syruping the cakes is prefered.

I've made whoopie pies twice in the past month. Both times I've been left with superfluous filling. What's a girl to do? It contains some of the best confectionery ingredients: butter, powdered sugar, pure vanilla extract and of course, the multi-functional, light and creamy Marshmallow Fluff. Whip it on the paddle with a few other buffers and you have a Marshmallow Freak's icing: fluffy, airy, light, vanilla, sweet. I could never waste ingriedents! I could use it again for another dessert!

...At least that's what I told myself. 24-Hours later I found myself digging a spoon into the semi-soft mass of white. At the most frozen it feels a little like rolled fondant, but when it thaws it looks more like the wonderful bucket of tacky ooblecky fondant at school..I think I was the only one in the class that liked that stuff. Shockingly sweet, it melts in your mouth mouth. Subtle vanilla, all marshmallow goodness.
..Yes, I know I have a "problem" with sweets, and I'm sure my confectionery and baker peers would support my slight issues with marshmallow and all things icing.

I'm only about halfway through the first glass bowl, sporadically touched when I'm craving something sweet, and I haven't really touched the second one yet, so maybe I'm not beyond hope.

0 comments: