Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Corned Beef Hash Love

The first time I can recall eating Corned Beef Hash was about a year ago. Matt and I were on our way to Ikea to look at apartment stuff. We stopped at a diner on the way up, and something on the special's menu intrigued me: Corned beef hash with eggs.

I couldn't remember ever eating such a thing, but I knew I liked corned beef, and any food ending or starting with "Hash" (Hash browns being a favorite). I knew it was simple diced beef with diced potatoes and pan fried to a crispy savoriness. What omnivore doesn't like diced meat and potatoes?

I was presented with an incredible serving of corned beef hash with two scrambled eggs and a generous portion of home fries...And a slice of melon...And a side of buttery rye toast. There were so many different aromas going on in my plate. I picked up my fork and dug in; feeling something like an idiot for having such a large plate of food, while Matt opted for fruit with some oatmeal.
"Why is it whenever I order a big breakfast, you order fruit? I feel like you're Jack Sprat, or something." I said, jabbing the air with a fork of melon at him.

Meanwhile, my breakfast was delicious. The hash cooked to a crisp, moist, salt and peppery mass of deliciousness. I was in love. I feasted and savored...I admit it, I gorged. It was some of the best breakfast I had in a long time. The most simple dishes are the best dishes.

A year later and I'm excited to try Matthew's Corned beef hash. Last night we braised corned beef. For lunch today I enjoyed a corned beef pressed Reuben (regrettably sans rye bread). The only natural plan of action would be corned beef hash. And possibly eggs cracked into it. It is going to be an explosion of flavor and textures.

Matt's small dicing the potatoes, almost when he would occasionally make brunoise potatoes; a delightfully nastily difficult small dice. He'd then cook them with diced onions into an incredible crisp and crunchy breakfast side dish only edible with a spoon.

It smells garlicky in here. All the flavors are canoodling. It's sensual. The sound of frying, the oil popping and the steam rising from the cast iron skillet. It's a dance. A rehearsed tango of sounds, smells and flavors.

This is the hardest part. He's just cracked the eggs in....And now I need to wait until the eggs are cooked. Agony! It just smells like breakfast with the meat, crispy potatoes and now the cooking egg.

At first bite, I am enamored. This corned beef hash is better than I remember. The small diced potatoes, crisp but soft, the tender of the beef, the egg playing backup. It is crisp, it is crunchy, tender, salty, starchy and satisfying.  The crunch and mouth feel is a lot like a tator tot: outer crisp with a meaty inside.  Completely delicious and simple meal. I can't put into words the delight the crunch of potatoes and meat bring, but I know you know exactly what I am talking about.






0 comments: