Shamleless Plug

I'm embarking on a new part of my life that is happier and going in a direction! It's really refreshing.

I was married May 19th, 2012 to a great guy I met at the C.I.A and we're go excited to embark on a life together. He has as culinary degree to match my baking and pastry degree. It's going to be a Good life.

I hope you enjoy my thoughts on food and cooking. I am but a humble baker, who happens to love cooking and embraces the joy of food.


Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Bacon Corn Chowder

Corn Chowder was a year round thing growing up in my house. Last night, we had maple bacon with dinner and Matt suggested corn chowder to use the rest of it up. Tonight I was looking for a recipe to pass along to someone and didn't exactly love the ones listed. So here's a simple corn chowder, that's reasonably quick and quite tasty

Makes 4-6 servings

1/2 cup onions, medium dice
4-8 strips raw bacon (depending on how much you have and how much you like bacon), diced

1/2 cup diced carrots (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup celery
I'd like to point out here you can add any veggies you like. 
 4 cups veg stock

2 medium potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
4-5 cups corn, fresh or frozen corn


4 cups milk, whole preferred
1 cup half and half or light cream

1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Assorted spices and seasonings (I recommend pepper, garlic/onion powder, paprika/chilli powder or anything you consider a good addition. Matt would like me to point out that "cumin" might not be a good addition. I'm really sensitive to some flavors, so I don't want to limit you, but use your own good judgement) Be careful with the salt until you know how salty the bacon made it.)
Combine Dairy in a separate saucepan and put on to warm.

Cook bacon and onions in a 1.5 gallon soup pot, cook well, until most of bacon fat is rendered.
Add in stock, carrots, celery and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are fork tender. Add in corn.

 In a small bowl, combine flour and cornstarch, mixing well. Take about a cup of warm milk and wisk into flour mixture. Add back into the milk and wisk well. Pour entire contents into soup pot and stir until combined.

Cook over medium heat until chowder begins to bubble. Stir gently and continue to cook until chowder starts to bubble. Let bubble for 5 minutes. Season as desired.

0 comments: